A quote from Ron White for all the news people who feel they just have to be out there in the wind to report on the storm: It's not that the wind is blowing, it's what the wind is blowing.
This is a good site for minute-by-minute updates.
Some strangeness that I've read on various newspaper and television station websites throughout the day:
- In one neighborhood, smoke alarms in almost every house started going off all at the same time. They blamed it on batteries. I've had my own experiences with smoke alarms and strange ghostly happenings. I'm not saying the smoke alarm thing had a spiritual connection but we are talking about New Orleans.
- A small two-story out-building in the French Quarter collapsed and the lady who was inside, walked out unharmed.
- The life-size statue of Jesus in the courtyard behind St. Louis Cathedral still stands between two fallen oak trees with only damage to the fingers on one of the hands of his outstretched arms.
- The French Quarter and The Garden District are two of the very few areas of the city that are not under water.
Some strangeness that happened to me when I got to my office building this morning:
- As I walked into the elevator, a young girl walked in behind me and I hit the button to the 8th floor. I am on the 5th floor. I've worked in this building for five years and I have never hit the 8th floor button by mistake. I looked at the girl on the elevator with me and apologized as I pushed the 5th floor button. I noticed the girl didn't push a button and I asked her, "Are you going to the 8th floor?" She looked at me and gave me a very odd little smile and simply said, "Yes." It was very Touched By An Angel-ish.