Thursday, October 23, 2008

Granny Ghost


In a couple of weeks, my mom, sister, cousin, two friends and the daughter of one of the friends will be going to the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park Colorado for a Ghost Hunting trip with Darkness Radio, Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson of TAPS and other well known personalities in the paranormal field.

My mom recently had back surgery and has occasional bouts of insomnia. She called me yesterday concerned that her insomnia might be a problem when we’re on our trip.

“I’m worried my walking around in the middle of the night might bother people,” mom said. “Maybe I should get a separate room.”

I said, “We’re only going to be there a few days. It’s no big deal. You won’t bother us.”

“You don’t understand,” she said. “I’m afraid that if I walk out into the hall so I won’t bother you guys, someone’s going to think I’m a ghost and start screaming and wake up the whole hotel or hit me over the head.”

“Mom,” I said, “It’s going to be a hotel full of ghost hunters. Ghost hunters don’t scream and hit ghosts over the head. If anyone thinks you’re paranormal or something, they’re going to try to communicate with you. Just tap once for ‘yes’ and twice for ‘no’ and you should be okay.”

“What if somebody takes a picture of me thinking they're getting a picture of a ghost?” mom asked.

“Crap, I hadn’t thought about that,” I said. “I can see us all sitting in the evidence review session and up pops a picture of you on the slideshow screen in your granny gown. We’ll have to pretend like we don’t know you.”

“Thanks a lot.”

“No problem.”

10 comments:

Zina said...

LOL!!!!!!
Sheesh...how much walkin' around does she do?
Tell her not to worry...she'll be the talk of the trip. And who knows, other ghosts will see her and try to make friends.
heheheee

Susan in St. Paul said...

Sounds like you are going to have fun!

LOL! I can't wait to see the ghost mom pictures ;-)

Its been a long time since I was in Estes Park but it was beautiful and the Stanley has a great location.

Keep the altitude in mind, the last time I was in Steamboat Springs, which is about 1000 feet lower I decided to go for a nice walk the second day and darn near collapsed from exhaustion.

Lorna said...

Your mom should only worry if she wanders in the nude

Rebecca Hickman said...

Funny! I worry about sleepwalking, too. It's very embarrassing.

Laurie said...

Zina - Good point!

Susan - I forgot about the altitude. Thanks for the reminder.

Lorna - Lord, let's hope not!

Rebecca - Not sleepwalking. Just walking. She'd be happy if she were asleep. :)

TBM said...

Oh my gosh, that is too funny. Does your mom have a blog? If not, isn't it time she does?! ;-)

Estes Park is gorgeous! But Susan is right about that altitude. Light-headed ghost hunting sounds like fun, though!

neil said...

We need your mom over here. Just went on a ghost hunting tour, with nary a spectre to be seen. No matter, it was a great tour, with plenty of history. Funny how a few drunks tried to join our group, but when we walked, their beers called out to them to stay.

Laurie said...

Just - I have to remind everybody about the atitude thing.

Neil -Sounds like the ghost hunting tour I took in New Orleans. :)

Alyson | New England Living said...

Let me just say, I'm sooo stinkin' jealous! Tell Grant and Jason hi for me. Yeah, I'm sure they'll know who I am (I wish).

Your mom is so funny!

Laurie said...

Alyson - We have to do a trip together sometime!