Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Africom

Africom is:
a. a new line of hair products for African Americans
b. a sci-fi convention held in Botswana
c. a
Unified Combatant Command of the United States Department of Defense that is responsible for U.S. military operations in and military relations with 53 African nations - an area of responsibility covering all of Africa except Egypt. (according to Wikipedia)

Am I the first person to hear about this? This quote from the Wikipedia article bothers me the most:

"In mid 2006, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld formed a planning team to advise on requirements for establishing a new Unified Command for the African continent. In early December, he made a recommendation to President George W. Bush, who authorized the new command on the same day Rumsfeld left office."

Somebody read the Wikipedia article for me, summarize it, give me some warm milk and chocolate chip cookies, rub my back and tell me everything will be okay, everything will be okay, everything will be okay...

4 comments:

Susan in St. Paul said...

Great, it went autonomous today!

I don't have any milk, but have a chocolate chip cookie, Laurie, economic collapse or bird flu will probably ruin the world first ;)

Unfortunately, its not like we can do anything about any of them and worry gets us nowhere.

Laurie said...

Susan - It freaks me out.

Lorna said...

It is disturbing to think of Eurocom or Canadacom or Aussicom---damn, I loved it back in the 50s. All that stuff was probably going on, I just didn't hear about it.

Laurie said...

Lorna - I agree. I prefer to not know.