Thursday, May 14, 2009

Beaumont Emergency Animal Hospital

Yesterday evening, I gave Oakley his monthly flea treatment. I usually use Adam's flea products, but the only brand available at CVS was Sergeant's Gold Flea and Tick squeeze-on application.

After about three hours, Oakley started acting funny. He got very restless, so I took him outside. As soon as we got outside, he threw up. When we got in the house, he kept acting strange (very jittery, sensitive to noise, still throwing up). I watched him for a while and got online to Google reactions to Sergeant's Gold products.

If you do a Google of Sergeant's Gold products, it will scare you to death. Since Oakley wasn't displaying any of the more severe reactions, I bathed him in dishwashing liquid like the websites recommended and continued to watch him for another hour or so and he seemed to be calming down a bit. However, around 12:30 a.m. he started crying which he never does.

Fortunately, Beaumont has a 24-hour emergency animal clinic which I knew about through friends. I brought Oakley in and, as I had been told by others who have had to use the clinic, everyone there was terrific.

They told me to check with my vet about flea medications and they told me they hate Sergeants and Hartz flea medications because they see so many animals with complications from those brands.

They gave Oakley a cortisone shot and said he had a pretty bad skin reaction to a chemical in the Sergeant's Gold. It's 1:44 a.m. now and I'm waiting for the sedative to kick in so he'll settle down and we can go to sleep. Thank God, the skin reaction was his only complication.

To get to the clinic, take the 4th Street exit off of Cardinal Drive and it's on the northbound feeder road of the highway. I hope you never need them.

Southeast Texas Animal Emergency Clinic
3420 W Cardinal Dr
Beaumont,Texas 77705

8:00 a.m.UPDATE:
Oakley finally settled down about 3:30 a.m., but even after he fell asleep, the sedative they gave him at the animal clinic made him sleep so hard, I thought he wasn't breathing all night and kept poking him to make him move. He seems to be fine this morning and I’m going to go check on him at lunch. His back where I put the chemical still seems to be bothering him a bit.

11:00 a.m. UPDATE:
All appears to be well. I gave Oakley a little water and a dog biscuit and he kept both down and he's resting well with no fidgeting.


Anonymous said...

I'm glad he (and you) is ok.

Jill said...

Glad he's ok now. One of my dachshunds is allergy to some weeds and grass.I had to give her benadryl. Of course that's Houston for you. Since I've been staying in Waco, she has no problem.

jen said...

Glad that Oakley is feeling better.

The people at SETx Animal ER are great. I (unfortunately) have had to take more than one pet to that clinic.

Steve said...

I've been to the emergency clinic twice. Once successfully, and once not. After they were unable to save my feline companion of 20 years, they were nice enough to send a sympathy card. Pretty great folks.

Just a Plane Ride Away said...

Oh no! How scary. I'm glad that Oakley is better!

Gnightgirl said...

I used a spot-flea treatment on my cat last autumn after a dog with fleas visited my house. I bought it from a reputable local pet supply place, and didn't think twice about using it. It made her very, very sick. I mentioned to my "animal people" friends, and they fired off a bunch of information that would keep me from ever using those things on a pet again. I had no idea.