Sunday, July 31, 2011

No means no





A word of advice to all wait staff and, in particular, to the nice waitress who waited on us at Chili's today: Obviously, your manager told you to push the margaritas.  Perhaps, he actually did tell you that he would buy you a steak dinner if you sold enough margaritas. 

Even though we politely refused several times, you kept offering them anyway. Please keep in mind that you might be standing at the table of a person or persons in recovery or who possibly cannot drink alcohol.

That wasn't the case at our table, but you need to keep this in mind. When people say, "No, thank you," drop it. 

No means no.


.

3 comments:

Lorna said...

I have no trouble, in principle, saying "no" to margaritas, but I hadn't thought of the repeat offer in quite this way before.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

There's a big difference between "suggestive sell" and brow-beating the customer. I try to keep in mind that those poor kids are being hounded by a manager that's being hounded by corporate.

Still, there's a point at which I politely say "I already told you no thanks." I hate to be badgered.

Unknown said...

Haven't had that problem but I had a "scent pusher" at a mall practally grab my arm insisting that I smell it. I nearly slugged her.