Sunday, May 27, 2007

Mockingbird?

The past four nights at about 1:00 a.m. some damn bird starts singing/screeching/chirping/croacking on a tree branch right outside my second floor bedroom window. I took the video below from inside my bedroom and you can still hear how loud it is even through the double paned window beside my bed.

I am a person who has, literally, slept through a train wreck. The train wrecked right down the street from my townhouse and the collision was so powerful, it actually rocked my bed. I felt the movement, listened for a while, then went right back to sleep. When I left for work the next morning, when I reached Langham Road, I looked over to my left and there were train cars scattered all along the tracks. When Cory and Jamie spend the night here, they're always amazed when I tell them I don't even hear the trains anymore.

This damn bird, however, wakes me and keeps me awake until it decides to stop whatever the fuck it's doing. According to one site I found, this is probably a bachelor mockingbird trying to find a mate. It's actually quite fascinating because it can make so many different sounds. Sometimes it even sounds like a cat or a frog. I went outside a little while ago because I was beginning to think it was a car alarm or something. Not only is it a bird, he wasn't even afraid of me and just kept up the racket.

It's now 1:40 a.m. and he's still going strong. Stupid horny bird.



Edited to add:
This bird did not stop until the sun began to come up at about 6:00 a.m. Bastard.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love mockingbirds. Being a musician, I love to hear and copy different sounds. Besides, I can really empathize with their pleaser, outer-directed desparation.

Anonymous said...

Baby Sis

How pathetic is this bird. I'm sorry beggin is so pathetic. If you're not getting lucky move to the next bar...I mean tree.

Anonymous said...

Mock. Yeah! Ing. Yeah! Bird! Yeah!

Yeah!

Yeah!

Laurie said...

Comfort Addict - Interesting way to look at it. I'll keep that in mind tonight.

Baby Sis - Good point. Stupid man...I mean bird.

Leslie - Yeah, annoying, just like that song.

Grimm said...

I am thinking you need a cat.

Fear not I can get you one REAL cheap - we have about 20.

Laurie said...

Grimm - Sure, send one my way. Just attach a note to his collar.